by G.A. Studdert Kennedy
- How far above the things of earth
- Is Christ at God's right hand?
- How far above yon snowy peaks
- Do His white angels stand?
- Must we fare forth to seek a world
- Beyond that silent star?
- Forsake these dear familiar homes
- And climb the heights -- How far?
- As far as meaning is from speech,
- As beauty from a rose,
- As far as music is from sound,
- As poetry from prose,
- As far as art from cleverness,
- As painting is from paints,
- As far as signs from sacraments,
- As Pharisees from Saints,
- As far as love from friendship is,
- As reason is from Truth,
- As far as laughter is from joy,
- And early years from youth,
- As far as love from shining eyes,
- As passion from a kiss,
- So far is God from God's green earth,
- So far that world from this.
The Unutterable Beauty, Mowbray London & Oxford.
Return to Table of Contents